Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Great Singles That Never Were... Adam Lambert's "For Your Entertainment"




     When Adam Lambert left the eighth season of American Idol as its runner-up he quickly went into recording his diverse, unique and brave debut album, For Your Entertainment. The sound that was featured was part pop, part rock and all glam inspired. The greatest aspect of the record was how well Lambert's fantastic vocal ability was showcased. The guy can sing the hell out of anything. The artist is now out and about promoting his recent sophomore release, Trespassing, that went to the top of the charts, but I cannot help but look back at all the choices Lambert would have had if he and his team decided to release an official fourth single from his debut. I can imagine all the spikes, glitter and fierceness already. What would have been the best choice for the album's next single following the perfect "If I Had You"?
   
     The title track made for a nice, controversial lead single, "Whataya Want From Me" was a smash, earning the artist his first top ten hit and a Grammy nomination, and "If I Had You" was another top forty hit, but what track should have followed? As a devoted fan, an obvious choice would have been to go with the Lady Gaga-penned "Fever". Lambert had a big success with a heartfelt ballad, but I wanted to see if the US audience would take to his hardcore pop/dance style as well. Many will say that the song would have failed due to its "gay-inspired" lyrics, but I think the song is so fun and catchy, those lyrics would have been overlooked. The song is great and I cannot help but think of the possible music video.
     Adam is the first openly gay artist to be signed to a major record label or score a number one album. The song does reference his sexuality at the beginning but it then turns into the perfect dance song dealing with sex. My pop idol, Lady Gaga, did write the track for herself a while back and even though her version contains a 70s retro feel, Lambert completely made it his own and went down a radio-friendly, club-ready, dance sound. I enjoy both versions the same it is hard for me to pick a favorite. "Fever" has everything I like about Adam rolled into one. Powerful vocals, erotic lyrics and a great beat. Any listener would surely gravitate to the finished product and I feel it would have been a step in the right direction.



     However, to play it on the safe side, if a fourth single was serviced to radio then I am pretty sure that Adam's label would have gone with "Sleepwalker". The song is a beautiful ballad, I prefer it to the album's second single and it was one of my favorite moments off Adam's debut. The song is strong, has more of a somber, darker tone and I am sure people would have been able to relate to its message of loving someone that does not necessarily love you back. I got excited when Lambert performed the track on the Jay Leno show at one point during the album's promotion. The performance is still Adam's best live moment to date, in my opinion. The track is emotional, sung well, and just a good song to blast high.
      While the album's three singles did carry a distinct pop vibe, "Sleepwalker" was Adam showing that he was indeed a rock kind of guy. The guy that he showed millions on American Idol. The beginning reminded me a bit of The Verve, but then it completely surpasses anything that group ever did. My only problem with the song was that it was written by One Republic's Ryan Tedder. Tedder helped craft Beyonce's "Halo" and Kelly Clarkson's "Already Gone" which sounded strangely familiar. "Sleepwalker" does carry the same progression. Maybe Adam and his team were afraid to announce the track as a single after the feud between Tedder and Clarkson occurred. Anyway, the song is amazing and I would have liked to see Adam promote it more. The video ideas keep playing in my head.




The album did feature other single options. "Sure Fire Winners" would have dominated alternative rock airwaves, while "Aftermath" carried a great message of empowerment. However, one of Adam's greatest accomplishments to date was never officially released in the US. "Can't Let You Go" is a perfect effort and it is a shame many have not heard its true power. So many single possibilities, just not enough time. Excuse me while I go cry!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar